Story of Druze Proprietor of Eatery Hit Hard in Wake of Bloody Tel Aviv Terrorist Attack Goes Viral
Error: Contact form not found.
by Ruthie Blum

Zawa, the Druze proprietor of the Sarona Market eatery whom an Israel Radio editor encountered and wrote about. Photo: Facebook/Sharon Idan.
A social media post about a Druze woman whose eatery in Tel Aviv’s Sarona Market has been virtually empty since the Palestinian terrorist attack on the upscale mall earlier this month has gone viral, Israel’s Channel 10 reported on Tuesday.
The post was written by Sharon Idan, an editor at Israel Radio, who went to the restaurant-packed area to get something to eat, and encountered the suffering establishment and its proprietor.
The post reads:
I just hopped over to the Sarona Market to grab a bite before broadcasting the news at 11, and lo and behold, at the stand of a Druze woman named Zaweh, all the many pots and pans are completely full.
True, I had planned on buying burekas, but seeing those pots with the aroma of cooking, and this woman, my grandmother’s age, standing in front of them at 10:00 pm, broke my heart.
Since the terrorist attack, she tells me, there are no customers at all.
“Maybe you can say something about this on the news,” she said.
“I can’t say something about it on the news,” I answered. “But I can write about it on Facebook, and I am sure that many people will share it.”
Zaweh tells me that only a couple of people have bought some of the stuffed cabbage that her three daughters spent eight hours preparing.
The same goes for the okra in olive oil, tomatoes and garlic. Or the freekeh – smoked green durum wheat.
So I did buy food from her, with all the money I had with me. And when she heard how much my family loves this food, she gave me – in addition to everything I bought – another three containers of stuffed cabbage as a gift.
My protestations didn’t help, and believe me, I tried. [But she said]: “Your children should only enjoy, and the most important thing is that the food is healthy. My sister, daughters and I prepare everything ourselves. Everything is fresh, with no preservatives. Whatever my grandchildren eat is what your children will eat – a gift from us from Dalya [short for Daliyat el-Carmel, a Druze town in the Haifa district].”
So if you’re in the [Sarona] area and want some home-cooked Druze food, step in.
It really is a mitzvah [good deed].
And the food – is truly indescribable. Heavenly. The Land of Milk and Honey.
Idan wrote this post on Saturday night. Since then, it has garnered 3,600 “likes” and has been shared more than 1,800 times.
According to Channel 10, the general manager of the Sarona Market, Shlomi Hajaj, said that the terrorist attack, which took place on June 8, has caused a drastic reduction in business at the complex; some of the shop- and restaurant-owners report a 50 percent loss in income. In a campaign to turn this trend around — and as schools are letting out for summer vacation — Sarona is offering a 25% discount on all consumer goods at the mall.
As The Algemeiner reported, four Israelis – two men and two women — were killed and several others wounded in a multiple shooting attack committed by two Palestinian men from the village of Yatta near Hebron. Among the victims was renowned Ben-Gurion University professor Michael Feige.
Pod Save America Hosts Call on Democrats to Cut All Israel Military Aid, No Longer Accept AIPAC Funding
Jews, Israelis Targeted in Austria Amid Surge in Antisemitic Incidents; Local Jewish Community Calls for Action
‘All of Our Strength’: Over 1,000 Pro-Israel Activists Gather in DC for Solidarity Conference
‘Devastated’: Wesley LePatner, Killed in Manhattan Mass Shooting, Was a Jewish Communal, Philanthropic Leader
Sen. Angus King Vows to No Longer Vote for Israel Military Aid Until Gaza Conditions Improve
Europe Won’t Pressure Israel to ‘Commit Suicide’ Amid Gaza Backlash, Palestinian State Push, Says Israeli FM
Israel’s National Soccer Coach Attacked in Athens Before Soccer Fans Chant ‘F–K Israel, Free Palestine’ at Match
New York Judge Sentences Neo-Nazi to 5 Years for Livestreaming Bomb Threats Against Jewish Hospitals
US Pressures Lebanon to Issue Cabinet Decision to Disarm Hezbollah Before Talks Continue
UK Plans to Recognize Palestinian State in September Unless Israel Meets Conditions, Starmer Says









