Glastonbury Festival Says Kneecap Will Still Perform Despite Anti-Israel Remarks, Hezbollah-Tied Terror Charge
by Shiryn Ghermezian

Revelers dance as Avril Lavigne performs on the Other Stage during the Glastonbury Festival at Worthy Farm, in Pilton, Somerset, Britain, June 30, 2024. Photo: REUTERS/Dylan Martinez
The Irish rap band Kneecap will in fact perform at the 2025 Glastonbury music festival in the United Kingdom later this month, organizers confirmed on Tuesday, despite facing pressure to drop the trio after they made anti-Israel comments and allegedly expressed support for the Hezbollah terrorist organization.
Glastonbury organizers on Tuesday released online the full line-up, stage splits, and stage times for this year’s event. The Belfast-based band is set to perform on the West Holts Stage on June 28 as part of the music festival, which runs from June 25-29 and will feature over 3,000 performances.
The BBC will broadcast more than 100 sets from Glastonbury this year and said it plans to still air Kneecap’s set on TV, radio, iPlayer, and BBC Sounds even in light of the controversy surrounding the band, a spokesperson for the broadcaster told The i Paper.
Last month, Kneecap member Liam O’Hanna was charged with a terrorism offense by Metropolitan Police in the UK for allegedly expressing support for Hezbollah during a concert on Nov. 21, 2024, in north London. The rapper shouted “up Hamas, up Hezbollah” while having a Hezbollah flag draped over his shoulder. He is due to appear in court on June 18, exactly a week before Glastonbury. Counter-terrorism police said they were also investigating the band for allegedly calling for the death of British parliament members at a 2023 concert.
After the group, whose members include Naoise Ó Cairealláin and J.J. Ó Dochartaigh, displayed anti-Israel messages during their set at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in California in April, a number of their concerts were canceled. Several politicians in the UK, Jewish organizations, a Holocaust survivor, and pro-Israel supporters in the entertainment industry have called for them to be banned from performing at other music festivals, including Glastonbury. Public pressure to have them removed from the Glastonbury lineup of performers increased even more after footage resurfaced of their offensive comments from 2023 and 2024.
At Coachella this year, Kneecap projected on the backdrop of their stage messages that said “F–k Israel, Free Palestine” and “Israel is committing genocide against the Palestinian people.” They also led the crowd at Coachella to chant “Free, Free Palestine.”
The band also led chants of “Free, free Palestine” during their performance at a music festival in London on May 23.
A BBC spokesperson told The i Paper that all performances aired from Glastonbury must meet its editorial guidelines, which prohibit “unjustifiably offensive language.” The broadcaster said it is also required to reflect a range of opinions to avoid giving the impression that it endorses any particular political campaign. There will be a delay between live performances and the broadcast, which the BBC will reportedly use to edit out strong language and controversial remarks before it goes on iPlayer.
“As the broadcast partner, the BBC will be bringing audiences extensive music coverage from Glastonbury, with artists booked by the festival organizers,” the spokesperson said. “Whilst the BBC doesn’t ban artists, our plans will ensure that our programming will meet our editorial guidelines. Decisions about our broadcast output will be made in the lead-up to the festival.”
During their performance at Glastonbury last year, Kneecap displayed on screen a “Free Palestine” message and another message that falsely accused Israel of murdering over 20,000 children. The trio additionally led the audience in chanting “Free, free Palestine.”
Pod Save America Hosts Call on Democrats to Cut All Israel Military Aid, No Longer Accept AIPAC Funding
Jews, Israelis Targeted in Austria Amid Surge in Antisemitic Incidents; Local Jewish Community Calls for Action
‘All of Our Strength’: Over 1,000 Pro-Israel Activists Gather in DC for Solidarity Conference
‘Devastated’: Wesley LePatner, Killed in Manhattan Mass Shooting, Was a Jewish Communal, Philanthropic Leader
Sen. Angus King Vows to No Longer Vote for Israel Military Aid Until Gaza Conditions Improve
Europe Won’t Pressure Israel to ‘Commit Suicide’ Amid Gaza Backlash, Palestinian State Push, Says Israeli FM
Israel’s National Soccer Coach Attacked in Athens Before Soccer Fans Chant ‘F–K Israel, Free Palestine’ at Match
New York Judge Sentences Neo-Nazi to 5 Years for Livestreaming Bomb Threats Against Jewish Hospitals
US Pressures Lebanon to Issue Cabinet Decision to Disarm Hezbollah Before Talks Continue
UK Plans to Recognize Palestinian State in September Unless Israel Meets Conditions, Starmer Says









